The Cambridge Plant & Garden Club is proud to be one of the oldest garden clubs in America, its roots dating to 1889. During a history of more than 125 years, the club has maintained a consistent focus as stated in its bylaws:
The object of the Club shall be to increase knowledge of and to stimulate interest in all elements of horticulture, botany, and design, and to support conservation and community improvement in the urban setting of Cambridge.
Early conservation efforts date to 1900, when members lent their support to the organization that became the New England Wild Flower Society. Civic projects soon followed – the first being a children’s garden at the Margaret Fuller House in East Cambridge. Since that time, the club has undertaken projects of all sizes, providing support, funding, and hands-on gardening at sites throughout the city. CP&GC has partnered with the City of Cambridge, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, and multiple nonprofits, including the Cambridge Historical Society, the public-school garden initiative CitySprouts, the Charles River Conservancy, and the Longfellow–Washington’s Headquarters National Historic Site, among others.
The Cambridge Plant & Garden Club is a 501(c)(3) organization.